Monday, February 22, 2010

Puzzle Solved: How a Fatherless Lizard Species Maintains Its Genetic Diversity

Bahnoo, Sindya N. "Puzzle Solved: How a Fatherless Lizard Species Maintains Its Genetic Diversity." The New York Times 23 Feb. 2010

A long time ago, a scientist named Bill Neaves discovered a species of lizard. However, this was no ordinary species of lizard. This kind of whiptail lizard is asexual, which means that a lizard can reproduce all by itself. Us humans, vary greatly from person to person. This is achieved over years of reproduction, but usually only in sexual beings. Mr. Neaves was dumbfounded as to how each lizard could be so different from each other when they are asexual. Now, over 40 years later, we know the answer. Aracely Lutes found out how this happens. Sexual lizard species gets 23 chromosomes from each parent, but in this asexual species, there is only one parent so you would think that the lizards would be missing 23 chromosomes right? Wrong. The mother provides all 46 chromosomes, since there is no father to mix the genes; the baby lizard is a genetic copy of the mother. And since the mother lizards are different from each other to begin with, their “clones” are too.


I chose this article because it shows how diverse and vast nature is. I would have never thought that a lizard could reproduce by itself. Also, this article shows that we need to be more careful with our environment, because if unknown species are to go extinct, then how will we become more intelligent as to our surroundings?


I liked the way that Mrs. Bahnoo writes, but I wish the article was more in-depth. It would have been nice to know what other species can reproduce asexually, or how many of these lizards exist, where they live, etc.

1 comment:

  1. After reviewing Chris’s article, I am stunned to find out many things that I thought were impossible. Chris did a great job in presenting his article first of all. Chris explains well about the chromosomes and how the lizards are different. Chris also takes facts that you think are right that are actually wrong and explains them well which is impressive. My favorite thing about Chris’s review was why he chose this article. He is completely right about the diversity in nature and how we should protect the environment. Many species every year are going extinct, species that we could be learning from. What if a species can help us make better cures for diseases like cancer, especially the right now, almost incurable, pancreatic cancer. As soon as the species are lost, they are lost forever and they take their secrets with them.
    There are not many things that I find wrong with Chris’s article or where he can make improvements. One suggestion I have though, is that he go into some greater depth on his topics. Since I took Biology my first semester, I under stand why it is so amazing that the female gives forty six chromosomes, but for somebody who is unaware of this, will probably be dumbfounded. My only other suggestion is that he give more of an opinion on the article. He does give an opinion, but it is brief. He should really speak his opinion. Opinions are America is as strong as it is. With out opinions, people would be unable to improve things like toys and books. Reviews are what drives a writer to do better.
    The thing that impressed me most about the article was the asexual reproduction, I had no idea that any animal could reproduce by itself, and how the offspring could be different! This review truly surprised me and I would love to read the article my self.

    ReplyDelete