Sunday, May 4, 2014

An About-Face on a Risky Transplant


                I read the article An About-Face on a Risky Transplant by Lawrence K. Altman. In 2005, the first face transplant was performed on a French woman to much opposition from people who called it an unethical and immoral procedure. Since then, numerous other people have had face transplants to astounding results. The article states that transplants can “ease or erase the grotesque deformities that leave them [the patients] subject to taunts, discrimination, isolation and serious depression.” The face transplant has even helped 4 patients get back to work or school. However, the procedure is still quite risky and expensive. Costing upwards of $300,000 and killing 3 people, one of whom could not bear the grueling rehabilitation from the surgery, it is definitely not an easy procedure. Even though this technology still has quite a few kinks in it, they will eventually be worked out and lead to a better life for facial trauma victims.
                This information affects everyone. Everyone is always at risk for a traumatic accident, be it a car crash or an animal mauling. This technology has and will continue to help those who have faced traumatic accidents. You never know when disaster could strike, and a face transplant could help you get back from it.

                I did not see any issues with this article. I thought it highlighted a very interesting and new technology very well, even including an infographic to assist the reader to understand the procedure. One things that I would like to know is why the Chinese government ended funding for one patient’s rehabilitation drugs. Other than that, the article explained everything else very well and gave insight into similar topics, such as hand and arm transplants.

5 comments:

  1. I thought Sean picked a good article for his review. This procedure of face transplants is truly incredible. It shows some of what we have been able to accomplish recently in the medical field. I thought it was interesting to read and it showed the great affects that this has had on people’s lives.
    I thought the review could have used some information on for example why the rehabilitation process has led to death. And along with this it could have used information about some of the science behind it possibly.
    I thought the entire idea of face transplants is terrific and it can allow people to live new lives. The article was great to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean, I thought your article review was pretty well thought out and correctly articulated. There were three main things I thought you did well in your review. First off, you picked an interesting article to review. Not only did the title of this review catch my eye as I was going through the blog, but it also interested me enough to go read the actual New York Times article itself. Next, you kept the entire review short, making sure to avoid including superfluous information anywhere. That also contributed to your summary paragraph being super direct and to the point. That leads me into the third and final main thing I thought you did well: your summary paragraph as a whole. Your summary paragraph had very strong, compelling, quantitative details. It felt like I was reading the actual article.
      Although your review was strong in many areas, it was weak in others. One thing I would suggest is using stronger diction in your second paragraph whenever possible. You repeat the word "accident" twice in back to back sentences in that paragraph. To make the review more enjoyable for the reader, a synonym of "accident" is preferred for at least one of the two sentences. My second suggestion is trying to elaborate more on how the face transplant rehabilitating process lead to the deaths for three people. You quickly touch on the cons of face transplant surgery in the first paragraph, yet don't mention it or elaborate on it anywhere in the review.
      Before reading this review and subsequently reading the article, I had no idea face transplant surgery even existed. The idea shocked me and really made me think about how far science and specifically surgery has come. This review was a great read and an eye-opener at the same time.

      Delete
  2. I read the article review, An About-Face on a Risky Transplant, by Lawrence Altman. This was a very good article review. I really enjoyed how Sean was able to make this review concise. Another thing that made this very impressive was that he included so many important facts. For example, he stated that it costs over $300,000 to have a face-change. A third thing that he did well was citing in-text quotes. An example of this is when he said that “ease or erase the grotesque deformities that leave them subject to taunts, discrimination, isolation, and serious depression.” This article was written very well.
    This article was great but there were some areas I thought he could have improved. One area, which I thought he could have improved, was the flow. This was especially apparent due to the lack of transition words. Another way he could have improved the review was with the amount of information he included. Although he kept it short, I thought he should have elaborated on some topics like the rehabilitation process and the face-change surgery.
    Overall I thought that this was a great article review. I really enjoyed how Sean was able to make this article so concise. Prior to reading this article I was unaware that face-changing surgery was even possible. This article taught me a lot such as the cost and the risks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sean's article review was very well written. He did a good job of piecing quotations into the review. Also, I liked how he presented both the negative and positive effects of this surgery, as it is an interesting duality. Finally, I thought that he summarized the article quite well.

    I thought that there were some things that Sean could have improved. He could have gone into the technology and science behind this procedure. This would have made the review more complete. Also, he could have said how this procedure could lead to death.

    I learned a lot about face transplants by reading this review. This was very well written.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sean did a great job reviewing the article, An About-Face on a Risky Transplant by Lawrence Altman. The article was interesting and he summarized it well. He kept his review short and interesting while still providing a good amount of information. He made the article very easy to understand. I did not have to read the article to get a better understanding.
    Although his review was strong, Sean could improve in a couple of areas. He could elaborate more on the dangers of facial transplants instead of only mentioning that it could potentially lead to death for some. Another thing he could do to make his review better is go more in depth about the technology and science behind this surgery.
    Sean reviewed the article nicely and I found it interesting to read. I did not know very much about this procedure before reading so I learned a lot.

    ReplyDelete