Monday, December 16, 2013

Exercise as a Potent Medicine

Reynolds, Gretchen. "Exercise as Potent Medicine." Well Exercise as Potent Medicine Comments. The New York Times, 11 Dec. 2013. Web. 12 Dec. 2013. <http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/12/11/exercise-as-potent-medicine/?ref=health>.

Exercise as a Potent Medicine
by Gretchen Reynolds

A recent study suggests that exercise can be as effective as many frequently-prescribed drugs in treating some of the leading causes of death today. The study raises questions about whether our health care system focuses too much on prescribed medicine and too little on exercise as a cure. In this study, researchers compared various drugs and exercises and how they work when treating and reducing deaths among people who have been diagnosed with common diseases, such as heart disease and diabetes. Through multiple tests, researchers gathered data concluding that drugs and produced almost exactly the same results when compared in trials.
This article explains the importance of health and fitness in everyday life, and makes people realize the benefits of having a fit and healthy lifestyle. Because of this thorough and conclusive sutdy on the effects of exercise, hopefully people will now have more opportunities to regain their health through healthy amounts of exercise, while continuing to rely on prescribed medicines for more urgent needs.
I thought that this article explained and written this topic very well. It helped me understand the severity of common illnesses and the new and healthier treatments being used to cure these illnesses. I didn’t know about this topic before, and I thought it was great how the author explained many important details of it, making me understand more about how this new type of cure is helpful.

2 comments:

  1. I really like Liv's review, it was very descriptive and provided a lot of details. She included a lot of facts from the the article and i learnt a lot from reading it. Her opinion about the article was very descriptive and she had a good description of how this could impact every day life.

    I don't have many complaints about this review, she included lots of details, but i wish Liv would include the title of the article and who it was by in the first sentence, i like when people do this in reviews because it gives us information about what we are going to read, in the first sentence. I also which she gave us more detail about this article and a longer description because i found this to be very interesting.

    I am happy i read Liv's review because otherwise i would not have known about this. This review was informative and i may take this topic into consideration for my next review of an article that i pick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading Liv’s review. It was informative but at the same time had lots of detail. Instead of saying, “ I learned a lot from this article” she explained what she had learned. I believe this is a very important step when one is writing a review. I find it interesting that Liv chose this article because it has to do with healthcare, which is a big debating topic in the US today. She also did a really nice job in describing the ways this topic affects humanity.
    Overall, I think Liv did a terrific job and have little complaints. The only complaint I really do have is that her writing flow was sort of awkward and didn’t make it an easy read. I mean I was focused on the topic.
    What really impressed me was that many people get out of sports because of their medical issues but now playing the sports could help them. I am happy I chose to read Liv’s review because I would have never have known about this topic if I didn’t.

    ReplyDelete