Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Age 21 Drinking Laws Save Lives



"Age-21 Drinking Laws save Lives, Study Confirms." ScienceDaily. ScienceDaily, n.d. Web. 25 Feb. 2014.
Some people want to lower the legal drinking age from 21 to its original 18. Research continues to show that this law that is in affect now saves lives. The studies shown, are associated with lower rates of drunk-driving accidents among young people. It seems they also lower other hazards of heavy drinking including suicide, dating violence, and all the harmful acts that take place when people are under the influence.
         Personally, I feel more comfortable knowing that there are stricter laws for drinking age. It has been proven that the mind hasn’t fully developed until the age of 21. So, these underage drinkers are putting their minds and lives in harm before they are fully developed. Not only does under age drinking affect the drinker, but it affects those around them.   
         I thought the article was very informative, and showed me that underage drinking is a big concern in the US. I enjoyed how they gave lots of quantitative information. For example, “ 36 percent of college students said in the past two weeks they'd engaged in heavy episodic drinking (five or more drinks in a sitting, sometimes called "binge" drinking). That compared with 43 percent of students in 1988, the first year that all U.S. states had an age-21 law.” I am happy that I picked this article because it helps me gain knowledge of what is going on in the world around m

4 comments:

  1. I think Grayson did a great job of talking about how the article effects herself and those around her and was very straightforward and to the point. She also did a good job of including facts and stats from the text. I think that the paragraphs flow well together and are not confusing. But, I wish there was a longer and more detailed summary of the article, and another way that the facts of the article effects the world. Overall this was a very good review. I was very surprised to find out about how often and how many college students (that are probably underage) drank in 1988 compared to now. Great job Grayson!!
    -Morgan Frayne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like in this review that Grayson explains that because the drinking age is 21 and not eighteen in our country it has saved lives and better affected are society. Grayson also brings the idea up on how it affects your health in a negative way. Since your brain is not fully developed by eighteen it messes with the growth of your brain. Also Grayson brought up the idea that drinking doesn’t only affect you negatively, but the people around you too.
    I really like the points that were brought up; just there wasn’t much supporting details or facts. Sometimes Grayson would just give one sentence about the idea and not go into great depth. Also I think it would have been beneficial if Grayson listed some people who are well known or famous in some respect that agreed the drinking age should be 21. One more thing is that you could have given the other side of the argument. Why do people even think it should be 18?
    Even though the drinking age is 21 now I would have expected more people to be drinking heavier now than in the 1980s. I did not think it would be such a significant difference. This fact was crucial to making your point that the drinking age does do good and should stay in effect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew Pytosh
    I liked the way that Grayson said that she felt safer, because the brain is both physically and mentally ready when you turn 21, because, not to say that all people are followers of the drinking laws, but the people who do follow those laws it makes a huge difference because they have developed brains by the correct point. I also liked the concise point that Grayson makes about how it damages the brain before age 21, telling us of statistical proof of this, which should deter some people. Lastly I enjoyed how well put this response was, with her own personal ties, like what I talked about before.
    On the other hand, it was short, a little too short mayhaps, because while you said all the points, you didn’t carry them well and it left me a bit questioning. I also grieved over the fact that you never explained why people didn’t say why they wanted the age to be 18? Maybe haste. I particularly enjoyed/was surprise by how you mentioned that the underage drinking rates were higher in the 80s then now. I thought they were higher !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed this review. I enjoyed that it was straight to the point, with the first sentence being the main idea. I also enjoyed how the benefits of a higher drinking age were laid out very nicely as opposed to being split up. Finally, I enjoyed that the review showed that since 1988, college binge drinking rates have dropped.
    I think that the review could have been made better if there were more explanation of what the underdeveloped mind means in relation to drinking. I also think that if the review went into more depth in relation to the studies that are mentioned in the beginning, the reader could get a better understanding of what these studies are pointing towards.
    I was impressed to learn that college binge drinking levels have gone down. I would have expected them to be around the same, not a near 10% drop.

    ReplyDelete