Sunday, December 6, 2009

Despite three deaths in Detroit race, runner fatalities are rare


This well written article focuses on the tragedies and potential well being issue of runner fatalities. Three runners collapsed and died throughout the Detroit Marathon a couple weeks ago. Though this is a scary and shocking thing to have happened to three seemingly healthy men, a series of doctors confirm that this is a rare occurrence. Proving their point with examples such as, "Its probably safer to be running in these races than to be driving in a car if you think about the number of deaths from traffic accidents.", its a hard case to disprove. 

All three of these runners are suspected to have had cardiac arrest, which is a sudden change in the hearts circulation and the heart stops pumping as much blood as the body needs. The most common cause for cardiac arrest is when you have an undiagnosed heart condition, general heart abnormalities that could have been in place since birth that have gone undetected. Another cause could be a rupture of the soft plague in the arteries... being active puts you at less risk for this cause. Another thing to worry about if your training for or currently running marathons, is over hydration. Usually common with inexperienced runners or runners anxious about dehydration, water intoxication is becoming more regular. Be aware of how much water you drink.

Overall I liked this article because running is somewhat universal, a lot of people run in marathons or use running in their every day life, for sports or exercise. It is definitely a cautionary story as well as sad for the people who've already lost their lives to running problems... However they do leave us with some tips to stay healthy while running. The key ones were to stay in shape if you're going to run, and don't overdose on water. In general, I think this article was very interesting and informative.

5 comments:

  1. I felt that Meredith did a great job in reviewing this article. There are many aspects to it that a great. For one, Meredith chose an article with a lot of information and shrunk it down to a brief, very informing review. In this review she included the very important facts of the article and changed them into facts that we can understand and all learn from. Her review also gave me tips on the ways I should run, since heart fatalities are present in my family such as to hydrate more, and not to over exert your heart by running more than you know you can handle. Though her article was very informing it also had its flaws. After reading her secondary paragraph I felt the hunger for more information on how overdosing and how drinking to much water while running can kill you. I am also concerned on her opinion about this article. It seems that she is lacking more on her views. Overall, I think that Meredith did a great job, I give this article review two thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This article was very well presented and written. I truly understood what the point was and how it related to people in our society. Meredith did a great job in summarizing this article as I can imagine it to be a very lengthy and drawn out subject. I learnt a lot from her explanation of why these runner died and how it is scientifically related. Her content and use of evidence to support her theory was fantastic and this further educated me about the heart and how to run safely, including to not over intoxicate yourself with water, which is proving to be a more regular occurrence.
    Meredith should have incorporated her opinion about this topic and why she chose it much more than she did. Her brief summarizing may have actually been non-beneficial to her as she left out some details that were necessary in order to fully understand the scientific meaning behind this occurrence.
    I was greatly impressed by her outlining abilities and further go on to say that Meredith did a great job in reviewing this article. Well Done!!!
    By Olivia Estes

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought Meridith did a great job of reviewing this article. I thought that overall she did a good job of taking a complicated information stuffed article and making it into a brief educational synopsis. I Also thought that the article choice and description was great because she hose and article and explained how it related to daily life. I was also very impressed in the fact that she supported her facts with explanation. One of the downsides of the article was that at times it lacked detail and did not always show the science behind the fact. I also thought that she could have explained how it is possible to die from drinking too much water while running. I thought this was a really intriguing fact and would have likes to see the science behind it. Overall I was very impressed by Meridith's article and really loved how it related so much to our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a very interesting article. I was interested in this article as an athlete because it sheds light on how dangerous sports can be. I was also very surprised by it because it showed that all sports, not just contact sports, are dangerous. This article also interested me because it showed the importance of training.
    This review was very good because it summed up the main points very well. It also explained the cause of death very well.
    This article could have told us why these athletes died and not others by telling us if it as chance or if they trained wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meredith did a great job at taking an interesting article, and summarizing the key aspects of it. I really enjoyed Meredith’s way of describing what cardiac arrest was and how it worked. I liked her detailed analysis of over hydration, and how inexperienced runners are drinking too much water. Finally, I think she did a great job at brining up why this article was important. I think Meredith could have written a little more about her own opinion of the article. I also think she could have gone into more depth about the effects of over hydration. In all I think she did a great job at talking about the different reasons these runners could have died.

    ReplyDelete