Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Using Marijuana to Treat Anxiety and Depression

 

 Padraig DeMarr

Original article written by Andrea Peterson: https://www.wsj.com/articles/people-are-using-marijuana-to-treat-anxiety-and-depression-but-the-science-is-murky-11635253201?mod=science_list_pos1 



Summary 

The overall article was interesting because it explained how we are not 100% sure if it is really worth taking marijuana. For example Andrea put in that the American Psychiatric Association stated “no current scientific evidence that cannabis is in any way beneficial for the treatment of any psychiatric disorder”. Part of the reason for this is because very few studies have been conducted and they have been on very small scales. Secondly Marijuana might actually cause other psychiatric disorders. She also puts in that we do not all ways know what is in the product for what you are using so that could be why this does not help everyone. But she also mentions that it helps with anxiety and some other things that make it hard for some people to live a more normal life.



Relevance 

The reason that this article is relevant to society is because many people smoke Marijuana. And if we find out at one point that it does give people psychological problems then many people will be in big trouble. Also this is just counting the people who are legally allowed to smoke Marijuana if we also count the people who do some illegally then a bigger portion of the population would be in trouble and we also might not have a way to cure the people who do devolve problems.



Critique 

I think that this article over all was very good but might have had a few rooms for improvement. Now one of the main reasons that I thought  it was good was because they mentioned people who were wolves in this field and they got a good bit of different perspectives. Now I think that one of the downfalls could have been to include more on how many people use/used it in the past because I think that would help highlight how bad this really could be for the world.

 

1 comment:

  1. Dante Robles 10/27/21
    CHEM Current Event

    Hyperlink for Padraig Article:
    https://bhscorechem.blogspot.com/2021/10/heres-what-we-know-about-booster-shots.html#comment-form
    Hyperlink for Article:
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/people-are-using-marijuana-to-treat-anxiety-and-depression-but-the-science-is-murky-11635253201?mod=science_list_pos1

    The three aspects I'm going to be focusing on are Subject, Summary, and Relevance. The first one, the subject. I thought this was a great subject to talk about because we don’t usually hear too many things about marijuana in a useful way, so this was something different that I just had to read. It contributed to basically the whole current event and made me more interested the more I kept reading. The next aspect I want to focus on is the summary. I think the summary was great and like I said before, it led me in because it talked about how Marijuana can help with peoples anxiety and depression. The summary is important and maybe even the most important part of someone's current event and I have to complement Padraig on that. The last aspect I'm going to be focussing on is the Relevance paragraph. I thought it was a good paragraph but I wish there was a little more talking on maybe the statistics. Overall though it was still a good Relevance paragraph.
    I think Padraig could have maybe done better with the Relevance paragraph and the conclusion. The relevance paragraph could have been better if maybe he looked up statistics on how many people use Marijuana and how else it can benefit you. The second thing Padraig could have done better with could have been the conclusion. The conclusion was just a little too short in my opinion, if he would have made it a bit longer with why he chose this specific article then the conclusion would have been basically perfect.
    The learning experience for this article was very good because the article was different and interesting. I picked this article because it wasn’t about space or the vaccine, it was about how Marijuana helped depression and anxiety. You don’t often hear about Marijuana in a positive way so it was interesting to read for that reason. This will change my life forever because now I know how Marijuana helps depression and anxiety.

    ReplyDelete