Tuesday, April 27, 2010

"Researchers Find Rare Giant Worm Doesn’t Live Up to Its Billing"




The Palouse earthworm of Idaho was said to have gone extinct in the 1980s. However, two scientists discovered what they thought to be these particular worms while working on the prairie region in Idaho. This article was very interesting because it explained that there were myths about how these worms were massive, growing up to 3 feet in length. They were also reported to smell like lilies. However, upon the worms being dissected, the scientists realized that these myths weren't true. The worms were about seven inches long and there was no noticeable "lily" scent detected on them. Even though the worms didn't match any specific criteria, they were still a good find because a lot of people believed that the worms didn't even exist.

I believe that this article contributes to society because it opens new doors about species that must have been once extinct. There might be species that we have thought to be extinct but have been here all along.

I enjoyed this article. It was very interesting to read and it gave me a new perspective about something simple as worms.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading Minah’s review and thought it was very interesting. I think that she did an excellent job at giving a full overview at what happened and where they found these. Another thing I liked was that she put important things in like the size of the found worms and the ones of mythological things that seemed to make things very interesting. She simplified and cut down the article to make the most substantial points which I liked.

    Although Minah’s article was very well written it included some flaws. She had some minor grammar problems. She also didn’t include some information that I would have liked to know such as how they found them.

    From reading Minah’s I’ve learned that worms can actually grow to 7 inches and the next time someone tells me they saw a 3 foot worm I’ll know they were exaggerating.

    ReplyDelete