Thursday, October 2, 2014

Bacterial ‘communication system, could be used to stop, kill cancer cells, study finds


The article I read was called “Bacterial ‘communication system, could be used to stop, kill cancer cells, study finds”. This article from the University of Missouri-Columbia talks about how recently they have discovered by running some tests that there are certain atoms that bacteria use to communicate stuff such as to stop reproducing or to escape the immune system and that these atoms can be manipulated to get cancer cells to stop spreading and eventually die off.
I really enjoyed reading this article because I am very fond of this topic. As a person who has personally known people who have been diagnosed with cancer I was really glad to hear about advancements in fighting this decease. Currently in the U.S about 1,500 people die of cancer each day and if this research continues to develop it could potentially save the lives of all those people and put an end to this horrific decease.
Over all I think this article was very well written and provided me with a lot of information however it did have one flaw. One thing I really liked about the article is how in the end it talks about the future of this research when it talks about how they are trying to find a way to test it on animals. I liked this because it is telling you that they are planning to move forward with this discovery. One thing I didn’t like about this article is how it tells you that they can manipulate these atoms but it doesn’t tell you how it works. I think that they should have explained this because I was interested in knowing more about this subject and they didn’t give me that information. 
posted for R. Gandara

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed Roberto’s review and summary of this article for many reasons, but there were three aspects about his review that stood out to me. One aspect that made this article interesting to read was the fact that it was personal to him. I liked how Roberto was able to connect the point of the article back to himself, and I thought that this made his review more genuine, as he has background experience with this awful disease. I also enjoyed his article review because it was to the point. I liked how Roberto was able to get right to the point of his review, and this made it quick to read and understand. He was able to summarize the article and review it in a short couple of paragraphs, and I think this made the article easy to read and understand. I also enjoyed reading Roberto’s review because it was positive news about an awful disease. Recently, the Ebola outbreak in the US has made nearly every headline, and most of the reports are not positive, hopeful news on the disease. I think that this made the review refreshing, and very happy to read. Although he included many good aspects in his review, there were a few things he could improve on. One idea of how he could improve is on his spelling. I think that improving on his spelling would make the review easier to read. I also think that his grammar could’ve been improved. These two aspects would’ve made his review much easier to comprehend. I liked how Roberto also chose a current event that I had not heard about, and was happy to learn about. I was very impressed with Roberto’s review because he chose a topic that was positive. As stated before, much of the news today is negative, and I liked how Roberto chose a topic that was hopeful and happy.

    ReplyDelete