Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Mysterious visitor, Clad in Fur, Puts Paris on Edge

Liam Bishop D-Even Core Chem CE 6

     
        Summary: 
       
        I am Reviewing the article, “Mysterious Visitor, Clad in Fur, Puts Paris on Edge.” Throughout the weekend, French Authorities have received many reports of what French residents are calling a tiger roaming through the town of Montévrain, a town not far from Paris. However, after beginning the search, authorities think that this may in fact not be a tiger, but an obese domestic cat. Even with this possibility, the French have still taken precautions so that no citizen gets attacked. On Friday, the French sent out a hunting squadron that included officers with tranquilizing darts and a helicopter with thermal sensors. Oliver Rimmel says that “Every 2 days, a new bogus issue keeps surfacing, this time, its a tiger going to eat all the children in town.” This shows that the tiger surfacing through the media have has sidelined the fact that France is a unrelaxing political and economic state. In the article, the author also talks about how there have been 14 illegal drone flights over the nuclear power plants in France. This is very concerning to the citizens because they fear the security watching the power plant is not enough to stop a possible attack on the country’s main source of electricity.

        Relevance:

        As the reports of the tiger surfaced on Thursday, France turned into a widespread panic as everyone thought that they would be attacked. The tiger forced police to stop what they were doing, call animal agencies, create a hunting team, and send the hunting team out to attempt to catch it. However, when the hunting team (Including a Helicopter) was unable to apprehend the tiger, reports came out that it was not a tiger, but in fact an overweight/large domestic cat such as the lynx.

        Critique:

        I thought the author did a good job with the article and thought it was very interesting how one tiger could create that much panic throughout Paris and Montévrain. Also,I thought it was interesting how the tiger could have gotten there since tigers are not domestic to France, but was disappointed when there was no theory or explanation behind it. Also, I thought it was completely irrelevant to include that Political/Economic state of France and the 14 illegal Drone flights over the Nuclear Power Plants. However, I still felt that I should’ve included the topics in my summary because they did occupy a decent chunk of the article and needed to be addressed in the review

3 comments:

  1. I read Liam’s review of the article “Mysterious Visitor, Clad in Fur, Puts Paris on Edge” for my current events article. There were many good aspects to his article review, but three stood out to me the most. The three things that stood out to me were the labels he used for his paragraphs. They made his article nicely spaced out, and easy to read and gain information from. I liked how he also added a lot of information in his paragraphs, and made them all very long. This made the review very full of detail, and I learned a lot from reading them. I found it very interesting that this article review was written on something that was so out of the ordinary, and I really enjoyed learning about it. Although the article review was very good, there are two things that I think could have been improved. I think that the grammar and the spelling of the article review could have been improved, as there were a few misspelled words, and a few sentences were worded very strangely. I also think that the review would have benefitted if a link to the article was included. I was very interested in the review, and I would have enjoyed reading the article that it was based on. Although there were some things that could have been perfected, I thought that it was interesting that the article topic was on something that was not solved, and it will be interesting to see how the situation mentioned in the review will play out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am commenting on Liam Bishop’s review on the article, “Mysterious Visitor, Clad in Fur, Puts Paris on Edge.”
    I thought Liam did a great job in symmetrizing the article and his writing was very clear, which helped to understand it even further. He explained the dangers to society and how France took control by saying, “the French have still taken precautions so that no citizen gets hurt.” He also incorporated his opinion on the event, which I thought was an interesting and helped explain how unique this issue is.
    Two things Liam could improve on are are adding more quotes and re-reading for little grammar mistakes before turning in. Liam did have one quote which was nicely said and placed, but he could definitely add another to get facts from important people on the issue. And for the grammar mistakes, there were only a few with capitalization, however minimizing those will improve his writing further.
    One thing I thought was very interesting was the fact that there was a tiger in France. This surprised and pulled me to read this review because tigers are not normally found in France.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading Liam’s review on this article, I think that he did several things well. Specifically in the summary paragraph, Liam gave very distinct details that helped me to understand what I was reading about. He also gave a quote from an expert on the subject which lets me know that this article is legit and the facts are true. Finally, I think that Liam gave a fantastic critique on what that author did well and needed to improve on. His ideas here were concise and straight to the point.
    I think that Liam could work a little more on the ‘Relevance’ paragraph of his review. It was a little short and lacked some details that would’ve supported his ideas more. I also think that his relevance paragraph gave too many facts instead of ideas that Liam could’ve thought of himself.
    Finally, I was very interested in the fact that the tiger did not attack anyone. When I think of a tiger, I think of a very dangerous animal, but here, it seems like the tiger is pretty timid. Also, where is this tiger from!?

    ReplyDelete