Sunday, February 22, 2015

Core Chemistry
Gabe Morato
Current Event 2
February 22, 2015

Malaria in Widening Area Resists Drug, Study Finds

Fuller, Thomas. "Malaria in Widening Area Resists Drug, Study Finds." The New York Times. The New York Times, 19 Feb. 2015. Web. 20 Feb. 2015.

The article I read called, Malaria in Widening Area Resists Drug, Study Finds, by: Thomas Fuller, is a very interesting article about how malaria in some places is resisting the drug used to treat it. The study in The Lancet Infectious Diseases, a medical journal, raises the troubling idea that resistance to the drug, artemisinin, might one day severely damage the treatment of malaria, which kills hundreds of thousands of people every year. In the article, Charles Woodrow says that this issue should “focus people,” and, “We have to eliminate these very resistant parasites. The fear is that if we don’t, we would reverse all the gains that have been made” (Paragraph 3). The article goes on to explain that this problem was brought up about a decade ago. It says, “Early signs of trouble with the drug were cited a decade ago by scientists working in western Cambodia. Falciparum malaria, the deadliest form of the disease, was increasingly resistant to treatment with artemisinin,” (Paragraph 5). But, the authors of the study do not know if it is actually becoming resistant, or if our new technology has revealed a situation that had gone undetected. The authors of the study also wrote, “The pace at which the geographical extent of artemisinin resistance is spreading is faster than the rate at which control and elimination measures are being developed and instituted, or new drugs being introduced” (Paragraph 10). The article also states that there is no replacement drug for artemisinin, which makes this resistant strain of malaria particularly dangerous. Fuller also tells us that the resistant strain began in Cambodia, but it has traveled thousands of miles to Myanmar and India. Finally, Fuller states that, “Researchers’ great fear is that resistance to artemisinin will spread to Africa. Ninety percent of the estimated 584,000 annual deaths from malaria occur in Africa, according to the World Health Organization” (paragraph 20).
This article definitely brings forth a issue that can affect our society. Already, almost 600,000 people die every year from malaria, even with artemisinin. If this resistance spreads, the mortality rate would be tremendously higher. It would also take years for doctors to develop another drug that would treat malaria. Also, this resistant malaria has big effects on economies across the world, since many governments are investing in more research and facilities in malaria-ridden countries. I chose this article for many reasons. First, I found the title intriguing, since I thought malaria was treatable. Also, I am interested in medicine, and I wanted to learn more about this type of malaria.
Overall, I thought this article was very well written, but it did have some minor issues. The author did a good job of giving background of the situation, and he started of generally and got more specific. Also, I liked how he broke his information into concise paragraph, like an editorial would. One thing I did not like is that he did not have many outside opinions, only Charles Woodrow and Dr. Voravit. In addition, I would suggest he explains why the malaria is resistant on the chemical level, and why malaria is so dangerous, for readers that are not as familiar with this issue.




7 comments:

  1. This Review of the article "Malaria in Widening Area Resists Drug, Study Finds" by Gabe Morato really helps the reader learn more about the problem that is Malaria. This review and article grabbed my attention without having to even read the opening lines. I really like how Gabe managed to focus so much on one specific detail but still be able to cover many aspects of the article. One thing he could have done better would to be that he should give more personal opinions. I think this because we could have read the article and developed our own opinions but it makes it kore intersecting to read an article with the authors personal thoughts on the matter scattered throughout the article. I really like how he gave the reader background information on Malaria, this is helpful because I for one didn't know much about the disease itself but now I know about the disease in the past and the present. One thing I didn't like, however, was how he cited every paragraph from the article. It messed up the flow but overall didn't effect the review too much. I also like how he stated the articles problems in his last paragraph. I really did learn a lot about how the vaccine could also severely damage the population affected by this terrible disease. Overall, I think Gabe did a very good job on informing us of the issues Malaria and its vaccination is causing some countries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gabe’s review of “Malaria in Widening Area Resists Drug, Study Finds” really helped me understand how much of a problem Malaria is. I have always known that it was a deadly disease, but treatable, making it not as bad or talked about as AIDS or cancer. But Gabe really shows how malaria is a large problem all across the world. As he got further into the article, he made the connection about how it would impact economies, which I thought was an insightful connection that didn’t even cross my mind. As the article moved on, I noticed Gabe weaved quotes into his paragraphs very well, which really supported his point. But, I think he could have made a few minor changes that may have been to his benefit. I think that Gabriel could have talked a little bit more about the actual study, about things like where it was and who the participants were. I also think that he could have given a brief overview of malaria (where it is prevalent, if it targets any specific age or ethnic groups, etc.) I myself did not know that the mortality rate was so high for malaria, which both surprised and upset me. Gabriel did a good job with the article and gave the author some feedback which in my opinion was good constructive criticism.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gabe did a good job of presenting his topic in the beginning of his critique. I was able to discover his opinion of the article and what the purpose of the article was without getting too much information which I liked. Gabe also did a great job presenting the information from the article in a clear and thoughtful style. After I had finished reading the first paragraph, I had an excellent understanding of the subject discussed and wanted discover what other opinions he had on the topic as well. Lastly, I really liked how he gave the reader background information on Malaria. Not knowing much about Malaria and fatal it is it was very helpful that he gave me the information so I could understand the topic better. It is a scary topic and he did a good job explaining the seriousness of the issue. However, I did not like how he cited every paragraph from the article. This made it difficult for the reader to follow along as it may disrupt the progression of his response. Another suggestion I would give Gabe would be to give an example words that he did not understand and he had to look up. I’m curious as to what kind of vocabulary he learned. After reading Gabe’s response to the article, I was able to learn a lot about Malaria and how the vaccine could also severely damage the population affected by this terrible disease. To conclude, I believe Gabe did a fantastic job on teaching us about the issues that Malaria proposes and what can happen if this problem is not taken very seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/20/world/asia/malaria-drug-artemisinin-is-failing-across-wider-area-study-warns.html?ref=science
    Fuller, Thomas. "Malaria in Widening Area Resists Drug, Study Finds." The New York Times. The New York Times, 19 Feb. 2015. Web. 20 Feb. 2015.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This article is about Malaria in Widening Area Resists Drug, study finds. And i think Gabe did a great job in this topic. This article make me know a lot about Malaria. This disease make millions of people die around the world.And Gabe's review make me know this disease more clearly.And let me know what the problem is.Here's a lot of details in this article that i can learned.In my opinion,Gabe can give more his personal opinion in his article.But this articles detail and information i really like it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This article "Malaria in Widening Area Resists Drug, Study Finds" explains to the reader about the problem that is Malaria. This review and article was interesting to me because of his strong opener. I really liked how Gabe could fully understand this article and put it into his own words and make it easier for people who don't understand it as much. One thing he could have done better was to give his own opinions. I think this because we could have read the article on our own and made our own judgment on this problem but also to relate it back with Gabe's. I really liked that Gabe was able to fill the reader in on some background information about Malaria. This is helpful because this topic is hard to understand and i have not learned much about it. Although, i did not like how every single paragraph had a citation. I think this because it messed up the flow of the paragraph but didn't have much effect the review too much. I also like how he stated the articles problems in his last paragraph. I really did learn a lot about how the vaccine could also severely damage the population affected by this terrible disease. Overall, I think Gabe did a very good job on informing us of the issues Malaria and its vaccination is causing some countries.

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/20/world/asia/malaria-drug-artemisinin-is-failing-across-wider-area-study-warns.html?ref=science
    Fuller, Thomas. "Malaria in Widening Area Resists Drug, Study Finds." The New York Times. The New York Times, 19 Feb. 2015. Web. 20 Feb. 2015.
    This Review of the article "Malaria in Widening Area Resists Drug, Study Finds" by Gabe Morato really helps the reader learn more about the what a brutal pandemic the disease Malaria truly is. One thing I truly did enjoy about Gabe's review was how he presented the article in a clear and thoughtful style. Another aspect of the article I truly enjoyed was how he did not just fill his article with a load of unneeded information. Instead he proves his points whilst using the perfect amount of words. Through Gabe's preteen format I was able to learn and discover loads of new facts and information about his topic, which was something I really did enjoy about his review. Lastly, I really liked how he gave the reader background information on Malaria. Not knowing much about Malaria and fatal it is it was very helpful that he gave me the information so I could understand the topic better. Gabe did an excellent job explaining the seriousness of the topic, but it was unnecessary how he cited each paragraph, in a way it disrupted the flow of the piece. I think that Gabriel could have talked a little bit more about the actual study, about things like where it was and who the participants were, which would have allowed the reader to connect to the story I bit more. It was a great piece, and in the piece the thing that I personally enjoyed most was how he stated the problems in the article in the last paragraph. Over all the final product was great and a real pleasure to read.

    ReplyDelete