Thursday, February 5, 2015

Birth Mystery of Stellar Snow Globe Deepens

Thursday February 5, 2015
Birth Mystery of Stellar Snow Globe Deepens
Lucy Rizzo
Birth Mystery of Stellar Snow Globe Deepens
By Andrew Fazekas
        The Article “Birth Mystery of Stellar Snow Globe Deepens” is about the recent images that appear on the Hubble Space Telescope of giant clusters of stars in a nearby galaxy. Scientist thought that they had found the source of the clusters, but when turned wrong they were sent back in puzzles. “Based on observations of our home galaxy, astronomers thought that globulars must form in galactic regions that are awash in elderly stars. But Hubble's observations of the Fornax dwarf galaxy, a small satellite of the Milky Way some 460,000 light-years from Earth, have upended that idea”, writes Faezekas. The paper to have sent astronomers back to the beginning clearly states that the host galaxy the clusters to have allegedly been from, don’t’ contain many old stars with in it. We should see many old stars in the Fornax galaxy, yet there are barely any to be shown. It’s unknown where these clusters originated from, but it is not this galaxy. Astronomers are sent “back to the drawing board” with the task of forming a new theory as to how these clusters came.
        I chose this article because I think that its intriguing as to how much information and knowledge is still left for us to learn and discover about space alone. The amount of information and technology we have attained and built for space in particular, is nothing compared to the amount of knowledge we haven’t even cracked into yet. This article opened my eyes to that, the fact that we don’t always know the answers to everything the first time, and that sometimes we have to start from the beginning to get answers.
        In my opinion I think that this article was well informative, and well written. Although more information is needed in this article and topic, which may be used for a follow up article because I do not believe that the writer is done investigating and telling the public, NASA’s findings. The author made sure to include plenty of explanations and statistics, to catch readers up, if not familiar with this event, and or topic. Before reading this article I didn’t know or understand anything that was being written about, or what had actually happened. I decided to stick with this article, because I hadn’t seen this even come up on any other big news sites, and I thought it would be a great learning experience. Although I greatly enjoyed this article I think that It could be improved in a few ways. I think stating whether or not NASA will be releasing more information would be helpful for curious readers. I also think that it could be improved by providing the beginning of the story, because I feel that the article may be the second of a series of them, since not all information was included that would be helpful to give background information. Otherwise I think that this article was enjoyable and extremely informative.

1 comment:

  1. This article was very interesting and taught me something new that I had no idea about. Lucy did a very good job with the explanation for 2 major reasons. The first was she didn’t use big words that were hard to understand. The other reason is the paragraph was short and sweet. Because I am not the best reader this helped me understand what was going on out in the Fornax. The final thing that stood out to me about Lucy’s review was she made a good point about how we don’t know everything. There are somethings that we will know or will take years for us to comprehend. “Back to the drawing board” was a great comment that was very impactful. There were 2 areas that she could have improved in. The second paragraph was good but didn’t tell me enough information. I felt I could have read the title and have been able to say what Lucy says in her paragraph. The other area was she quoted the article wrong in her paragraphs. This is only a minor mistake but can be fixed quickly. Over all I was impressed with the topic. I am not one to really care about astronomy but this article definitely caught my eye. I would love to investigate more into other galaxies. I am now interested to know what's out there beyond the milky way?

    ReplyDelete