Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Study Finds Purchasing Green Products Increases Your Likelihood to Lie, Cheat by Susannah Locke

This article is about how buying eco-friendly products can lead to lying and cheating in one's life. The Toronto University tested this hypothesis and concluded buying eco-friendly products subconsiously is an excuse for a good dead and would be acceptable to sin. The testing compared people who buy conventional products to eco-friendly products. Eco-friendly buyers made their good deed of buying eco-friendly products an excuse to sin in other aspects of their life. Cheating on poker or lying about one's age. However, conventinal buyers, had no excuse to sin.
This article is important to everyone, because the moral is one good deed does not cover up a wrong. Wether it is buying eco-friendly food and lying to helping a grandma cross the road and cheating on a test.
I believe the article is skimpy on details. The article states that the Toronto University conclusion is eco-friendly products may make one more likely to sin. The University does not seem confident in their conclusion and there seems to be "ifs" and "buts." Finally, it does not seem appropiate that university scientists are carrying out this expirement. A more appropiate scientist would be a pyschologist, because a pyschologist studies the brain and can observe why the brain reacts in an eco-friendly product enviorment.

2 comments:

  1. Clara Barth 10/15/09
    Chemistry H Blog comment


    One thing that Anderson did well was that he made his review entertaining. It was a fun review to read. I also liked that he related the rights and wrongs to chores that anyone could relate to. For instance he mentioned helping someone to cross the street, something many people come into contact with on a regular basis. Lastly, I thought it was good that Anderson was honest about how scientists shouldn’t be conducting this sort of “experiment”, because that is what I was thinking when I read the review of the article.

    Next time, Anderson should try to make the review a little longer; I didn’t feel I got enough detail from his post. I also think that the review format could have been a little clearer, I had trouble reading it.

    I would like to know more about the subject in general, because my mom loves to by eco-friendly products, and so do I. I feel it hits pretty close to home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Anderson's review of the Article. I like how he was very to the point and didn't get sidetracked. He also was very clear in his critique of the article. I like how he made sure that we knew that the scientists weren't sure about their conclusion. However, Anderson could have made the rest of the article more clear. He could have been a lot more clear about how buying green products made people feel like they could sin.
    I was very interested in this find. I want to find out if other scientists have had similar test results.

    ReplyDelete