Thursday, April 9, 2015

If We Dig Out All Our Fossil Fuels, Here’s How Hot We Can Expect It to Get

Jeb Burnell 4/9/2015
Chem D-Even Mr. Ippolito


Michael Greenstone’s 2015 article in The New York Times titled “If We Dig All Our Fossil Fuels, Here’s How Hot We Can Expect It to Get,” discusses how several different world leaders are trying to come together to work out a way to fix the ongoing climate change issue, and with a meeting scheduled for next winter in Paris, they have to work something out for the long run. Greenstone estimates that if we, as humans, dig up all of our natural fossil fuels and use them to our advantage, releasing their carbon dioxide emissions, the temperature would rise by 16.2 degrees, and the “Climate and planet would be very likely be unrecognizable.” The absolute most the temperature can change that scientists say would leave the Earth safe is 3.6 degrees, so Greenstone lists out the 3 options that scientists say can save the Earth from rising temperatures, these being to put a price on carbon dioxide emissions, to have more alternative energy options like wind and solar power be used more, or to capture the carbon dioxide before it reaches the atmosphere. Scientists know that energy providers depend on these fossil fuels being used, but Greenstone states, “If we use all of the fossil fuels in the ground, the planet will warm in a way that is difficult to imagine.”
Climate change has been the subject of debate for many years, and although many people try to deny the fact that Earth’s temperatures are rising, scientists continue to say that we as humans could see terrible issues for our world due to global warming. We could all see serious temperature changes in our lives as technology used to extract fossil fuels advances, so it is critical for energy providers to at least make an attempt to stop the temperature from changing beyond the 3.6 degree threshold. Unless changes are made to the way we produce and use our energy, the Earth was we know it could be on a tumultuous downfall.
Greenstones’s article was very well written in that it gave all of the necessary facts from a reader’s standpoint. I would never have guessed how much the Earth’s temperatures could rise to be safe, nor how much the temperatures have risen in the past. Also, his breakdown of what lead to the scientists’ estimate is well explained and informative, and his information about the solutions is a nice addition. The only thing I would have liked to see in Greenstone’s article would have been a few quotes from scientists or officials in the field of global warming/climate change, as it would have been nice to know what they themselves thought. All in all, Greenstone’s article was very informative on a topic that has many people worried and confused, which is never a good combination.


Works Cited
Greenstone, Michael. "If We Dig Out All Our Fossil Fuels, Here’s How Hot We Can Expect It
to Get." The New York Times. The New York Times Company, 8 Apr. 2015. Web. 9
Apr. 2015. <http://nyti.ms/1FgpbFf>.

2 comments:

  1. In Jeb’s review of the article “If We Dig Out All Our Fossil Fuels, Here’s How Hot We Can Expect It to Get,” I liked a couple things that he did. First, I like how he used quotes from professionals which makes me trust the facts in the article a lot more, knowing it came from someone who studies this. Secondly, I like how he gives specific facts and measurements, such as how he gave the 3.6 degree temperature fact. This gives me specific details and it shows a sense of urgency in the article. It shows how if we do not fix this problem right now using the three ways listed, then the Earth will become a worse place. Lastly, I like the whole layout of the article. I feel like he had a very nice flow in his words, and he really persuaded me to become passionate about this topic. Jeb portrayed this topic as an urgent thing that needs to be fixed, which it is.
    I feel like this article could have been made better. First off, I think that Jeb could have made the article a little longer and give more information from the actual article. I now know that this topic is a problem, but I think I could be better informed from this review. Secondly, I think that Jeb could have input his opinion more throughout the article. When I read an article, I look for a professional opinion, and someone my age’s opinion. It really diversifies the points made about the topic. I was really impressed by the whole topic of the article. I find it insane how it is possible for the Earth to change a temperature by so much. I was really shocked when I read this article, but I think that the review was well written and it will make me think every time I use a fossil fuel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martha Thomas
    4/16/15
    Greenstone, Michael. "If We Dig Out All Our Fossil Fuels, Here’s How Hot We Can Expect It
    to Get." The New York Times. The New York Times Company, 8 Apr. 2015. Web. 9
    Apr. 2015. .


    I think Jeb did a great job on his review. He used certain details from the article to enhance his summary. I also thought that Jeb chose a really interesting article to review in the first place. I also thought the review was really well-written with minimal grammatical mistakes.
    I thought that Jeb used too many quotes in his review, he could have paraphrased a little bit more. I also thought that he could have connected the article better to his life.
    I am shocked at the rapid changes climate, and will do everything I can to help the environment.

    ReplyDelete