Monday, March 2, 2015

Cece Hail "Why Our Brains See the Black and Blue Dress as White and Gold."

Cece Hail
Current Event 3

"Why Our Brains See the Black and Blue Dress as White and Gold."

http://www.businessinsider.com/science-of-the-blue-and-black-white-and-gold-dress-2015-2
Spector, Dina. "Why Our Brains See the Black and Blue Dress as White and
Gold." Business Insider. Business Insider, Inc, 27 Feb. 2015. Web. 1
Mar. 2015.

The article ‘Why Our Brains See the Black and Blue Dress as White and Gold” focuses on the recent internet phenomenon, which is a photo of dress that some people (including myself) see as white and gold, and others see as black and blue. This dress has caused a major internet feud, with neither side becoming more flexible. Since no one is giving in, a few scientists who have studied color differences in individual people’s eyes have intervened and tried to explain the controversy. Cedar Reiner, an eye researcher, explained that it has to do with the rods and cones in our eyes. Our cone processors are responsible for perceiving colors, with different cones for reds, greens and blues. The stated reason for such different brain function is stated as “the quantity of light coming into our retinas.” In other words, the amount of light that is present when we see the image for the first time has a large factor in our vision. Also, your individual eyes can discount certain pockets of color, based on what they are used to seeing.
This article has a profound impact upon all of our lives. It made me personally a little scared, because I didn’t know if I could trust my eyes. What if everything I was seeing was really out of proportion? What if my brain completely mixes up every color I see? I know that I was definitely a little unsettled by this dress, and knowing it is (in real life) blue and black kind of upset me.
This article did a good job of trying to explain a seemingly unexplainable issue during a time of chaos. Reading this article made sense to me and it flowed very logically. It was easy to follow and understand, but I do think that this article did not have enough outside opinions. The only experts provided were Mr. Reiner and a brief explanation from Dr. Bevil Conway, from Wellesley College.  Also think that was not enough analysis for all of the factual information provided.

2 comments:

  1. Spector, Dina. "Why Our Brains See the Black and Blue Dress as White and Gold." Business Insider. Business Insider, Inc, 27 Feb. 2015. Web. 1 Mar. 2015.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/science-of-the-blue-and-black-white-and-gold-dress-2015-2

    I really liked Cece’s review of the article “Why Our Brains See the Black and Blue Dress as White and Gold,” by Dina Spector. From her review, I learned many things that I didn’t know before about our eyes, and I also learned more about the dress that everyone is arguing over the color of. In Cece’s review, I really like how she gave some background about what the article was about, and explained all about what the dress actually was and why people are arguing over it. Another thing that I thought Cece did well was that she included quotes from her article. These helped to back up and explain ideas that Cece mentioned in her summary about why some people see the dress as different colors. Cece also did a good job explaining how everybody’s lives are connected to this article and raised some insightful questions that I was also left wondering about after I saw the picture of this dress. One thing that I think Cece could improve upon is that I think she could have included some more statistics in her report, such as how many people see the dress as blue and black and how many people see it as white and gold. I also think that she could have explained the “rods and cones” in our eyes and things such as “cone processors” that she mentioned in her summary because I was a bit confused as to what they were. Despite these minor things, I liked reading Cece’s review because from it, I learned more of the science behind the dress. Because I also see the dress as white and gold, I had no idea why some people saw it as blue and black, but now I understand why this is possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spector, Dina. "Why Our Brains See the Black and Blue Dress as White and Gold." Business Insider. Business Insider, Inc, 27 Feb. 2015. Web. 1 Mar. 2015.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/science-of-the-blue-and-black-white-and-gold-dress-2015-2

    Cece’s review of the article, “Why Our Brains See the Black and Blue Dress as White and Gold,” by Dina Spector was very interesting and I enjoyed reading about it. One of the more interesting factors of the article were how she implemented outside sources in Cedar Reiner. Reiner stated that the rods and cones in our eyes perceive the way we see the dress. Cece did a great job presenting the facts and the argument of the article. She also included many quotes from her article which I think backed it up even more.

    Cece could have put more evidence in her argument. She needs number statistics to really back up the argument. One other thing I think she could have improved on is explaining certain words that the average person might not know what that certain definition was.

    I was impressed that us as humans could percieve the colors of something only two different ways. One would think that people would see other colors as well.

    ReplyDelete