Monday, March 23, 2015

Icicles

Gorman, James. "Why Icicles Look the Way They Do." New York Times (2015): n. pag. New York. Web. 18 Mar. 2015.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/17/science/why-icicles-look-the-way-they-do.html?src=me&_r=0

I read the article by James Gorman, describing why Icicles look the way they do. I found the article very intersting because it made me think about something I don't really pay attention to in everyday life or think about. The article explains how  growing icicles in a refrigerated lab had its frustrations. “At first they grew into really strange shapes,” he said. Without air flow, icicles grow multiple legs. So the researchers had to blow air to get them to form as single upside-down cones. Then they rotated the growing icicles to get images of all sides. Scientist Stephen Morris states that a reason icicles ripple is caused by impurities in the water. I didn't think the way they describe the process the Icicles was great but it definitely answer my questions I had. Overall I think this was a great article and I really think that it took a topic and made it something very interesting.

1 comment:

  1. Jack Harwood

    Gorman, James. "Why Icicles Look the Way They Do." New York Times (2015): n. pag. New York. Web. 18 Mar. 2015.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/17/science/why-icicles-look-the-way-they-do.html?src=me&_r=0

    After reading Ardrit’s review about how icicles grow, I thought it was a very interesting article to chose. I also thought that he wrote it very well and it had a lot of flow. In addition to flow and writing styles, Ardrit did a great job with the grammatical and punctuation of his work. Unfortunately, I feel that Ardrit could have done a much better job when reviewing the article. I think his review lacked detail and information about the study. I think that if he had included more of both it would have been a much more interesting response. I also think that Ardrit could have focused more on the authors styles and whether he like them or not. In the end, after reading the actual article, I learned a lot and I thought it was a very interesting topic to choose.

    ReplyDelete