Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Why Icicles Look the Way They Do.

Scott McGrath
Core Chem
Current Events 5

Gorman, James. "Why Icicles Look the Way They Do." New York Times (2015): n. pag. New York. Web. 18 Mar. 2015.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/17/science/why-icicles-look-the-way-they-do.html?src=me&_r=0

I reviewed the article "Why icicles Look the Way They Do," by James Gorman. I found this article interesting because it answered some basic, everyday questions I had about such a simple thing. The article explains the real reason icicles look the way they do, as the article's title states. The answer is actually quite complex. Scientist Stephen Morris states that a reason icicles ripple is caused by impurities in the water. Scientists then created icicles in a refrigerated environment to see if different purities of water affected the type of ripple. They added salt, used tap water, but still no difference.“The ripples have a universal wavelength of exactly one centimeter, no matter what you do,” Dr. Morris said. Distilled water, on the other hand, created no ripples. This is thought to be because the surface tension is what really shapes the ripples on the beautiful wintertime treasures. 
The significance of this article isn't too great, but answers a question you had always wondered about but had never thought deeply about. This now makes me think of all the small things in this world that I would have never taken notice of. It also informs you that the purity of the water and the surface tension can affect the formation of the ice. This is something I would have never thought about but after reading this article I feel like I know something most people don't, even though it isn't very important.
Overall, this article was well written but had some flaws. For starters, there wasn't much to the topic, but they made the article very long. However, I really like how they took a supposedly boring topic and made it somewhat interesting. The way the Author incorporated different scientists opinions added a sense of variety and was a very good addition. To sum it all up, I think the Author did a good job writing this article and was also able to capture a sense of interest in a uncommon idea.












4 comments:

  1. Scott did a great job with his current event. One thing he did well was choosing his article. The article he chose isn't very significant to society, but the topic and information it provides is very interesting. Another thing Scott did well was his summary of the article. It wasn't too long, but captured all the important aspects of the icicle article. A third thing Scott did well was his organization of his review. He blended all his points very well together. Scott did have a couple things to work on. One was he didn't include an age recommendation for this article. The second was that Scott could have included a little more factual information from the article to help us learn even more. One thing that I found particularly interesting about this review was that in the experiment, distilled water didn't create any ripples.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martha Thomas
    3/23/15
    Gorman, James. "Why Icicles Look the Way They Do." New York Times (2015): n. pag. New York. Web. 18 Mar. 2015.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/17/science/why-icicles-look-the-way-they-do.html?src=me&_r=0

    Overall Scott did a good job with his current event. I really liked how he pointed out that reading this article instilled a sense of curiosity in him about other small wonders in the world. After reading the article, I also had this feeling. I also liked how he gave details about the experiment, which led scientists to conclude that the impurities in the water led to the ripples in icicles. I liked how he talked about the refrigerator not making a difference, but how having distilled water did make a difference. They details were key, and helped me understand all the variables present in the experiment. Scott did a good job following the format that current event articles are supposed to follow, and his paragraphs covered all the topics required.
    It bugged me that Scott’s review changed spacing and font halfway through. This review could have been improved with further detail on the time and place of the experiment, why did the scientist become interested in icicles? What university was the experiment conducted at? I wish Scott had either answered, or asked similar questions in his review.
    I was interested in the fact that all icicles have a wave-length of exactly 1 cm. It surprises me that variables like wind, or different impurities in the water don’t change that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorman, James. "Why Icicles Look the Way They Do." New York Times (2015): n. pag. New York. Web. 18 Mar. 2015.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/17/science/why-icicles-look-the-way-they-do.html?src=me&_r=0

    After reading Scotts review on the article “Why icicles look the way They Do.” written by Gorman, James. Something I learned that I was very surprised by and I thought was very cool is “The ripples have a universal wavelength of exactly one centimeter, no matter what you do,” Dr. Morris said. Scott did a great job of reviewing the article, three things I think he did well was his use of quotes, his ability to review the article and write a good summary of it, and one last thing he did well was how he was able to back up his evidence with quotes from scientist. lastly two things I think Scott could improve on to make his review better is the way he presented his article review it seemed cluttered with quotes at the top and didn’t have that many facts at the bottom. I think overall scott did a great job of reviewing this article.

    ReplyDelete