Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Is Doomsday Coming? Perhaps, But not in 20012

Recently there has been some talk about the movie 2012. Well it turns out that this theory based on the end of the Mayan calendar is a hoax, the world will not be ending anytime soon. Both NASA and CERN (European Center for Nuclear Research) have ensured that the world will not be coming to an end. Which is good news for us. In the article it talks about the social buzz the year 2012 has been getting since the Mayan calendar has been found, yet it is still shot down by the contradictory findings of NASA and CERN. This is so much of a hoax that Ed Krupp, director of the Griffith Observatory, in Los Angeles, an expert on ancient astronomy says “Most of what’s claimed for 2012 relies on wishful thinking, wild pseudoscientific folly, ignorance of astronomy and a level of paranoia of the Night of the Living Dead.” Some people such as Anthony Aveni, an astronomer and anthropologist at Colgate University believe that the Mayans should be given more respect. He claims that the Mayans never said anything about the world coming to an end they just stop taking count on their calendar. Basically, people chill out.

I don’t feel as if this article and discoveries can truly help society. It can finally, for most people put to rest a scary fact and give confirmation that the world is not coming to an end anytime soon. The Mayans had been astronomers for as long as they existed, yes. They wrote down everything that had possibly known about astronomy, yes. The Mayans had been serving up a calendar for thousands of years above when they existed. What most of the professors and what NASA and CERN are saying in this article is that the Mayans just happened to stop taking records here and IF they knew the world was going to come to an end in 2012, they would have written about it and we would know by now.

Overall I thought this was a very well rounded article. It consisted of a good author, good points and key facts and most importantly he chose a title and a topic that many people, including me found interesting and wanted to read about. Not only that but he had provided a bit of dry humor which I had personally liked. It gave a twist to what people where thinking about would happen in 2012 and showed them what the true point of this article is. 2012 is a hoax.

Overbye, Dennis . "Is Doomsday Coming? Perhaps, but Not in 2012." New York TImes 16 Nov. 2009. Web. 17 Nov. 2009. .

8 comments:

  1. Jackie Faselt Chem blog Comment

    I think that Niko did a very good job in his article review. I really liked it because Niko talked about a very relevant subject that I had prior knowledge to. He did a very good job explaining the Mayan myth so it made scene, also I think he made complicated article into a very easy to read review. To improve this Niko should define a few tricky vocabulary words, and go into more detail about the science behind the 2012 theory. I think this article is important because it can put us all at ease, getting too caught up in the media that the world might end in just a few years. It has reminded me that scientific fact is much better then movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This article was very well presented and highlighted the main points of the article very straight forwardly. I found it very interesting as it addresses a topic that is most intriguing to the public as it concerns the world and it's possible end. I am quite relieved to obtain the knowledge about our world continuing and why those possible theories about the world's end are false.
    In addition to the positive critiques I feel that this article needed more relevant information regarding chemistry and the science behind the world's end in 2012. I also think that Niko should have elaborated on certain points and explain in better detail.
    I was extremely impressed by the topic of this article and I definitely felt that I learnt a lot.
    Overall I think this article review was easy to read and interesting as it wasn't long nor was the topic boring. Good job Niko.
    By Olivia Estes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nov. 17, Article Review
    Chris Marasco

    There were many well presented points in the review of the article, “Is Doomsday Coming? Perhaps, but not in 20012”. The most important aspect of the article was the good news that the world will not be coming to an end soon. Learning that both NASA and CERN have dismissed allegations presented with the Mayan calendar was encouraging. It was interesting to learn also that some astronomers claim that the Mayan calendar simply ends but does not state the world is ending.
    It would be interesting to learn where the Mayan calendar was found and who discovered it. It would also be interesting to see if the calendar had any other information or predictions in it.
    I learned a lot in the article review, “Is Doomsday Coming? Perhaps, but not in 20012”.
    I was pleased to learn that what I believed all along was true, that the world would fortunately not be ending in the near future. I can see where people would race to see a movie like this and it does make for interesting conversation, however, I believe in the end most people really don’t believe it was true. Fortunately astronomy and science can help dispel erroneous myths.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Niko did a great job portraying this article. I liked how he chose such a recent topic, the movie 2012 only a few days ago and this helps relieve the scaryness that portrays. I learned that astronomers proved its not going to happen. I think Niko did a great job and he did a great job showing the article to the class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Niko did a great job presenting the points and views in his review of this article. I really liked this subject choice because of the events going on surrounding it right now. A movie just came out called 2012 about doomsday coming in 2012, and as we grow closer to the date the subject becomes more and more talked about. For my life's sake and the lives of other people it is realIy great to see that NASA and CERN both stated that it is just a rumor with no scientific basis. I didn't know that the Mayan calendar ended, but said nothing about the end of the world. Previously i had though that it stated a doomsday, but now knowing this i am skeptical of the argument for a doomsday. One thing i wished had been written about was anything else that the Mayans claimed to happen, or anything relevant to the date in their culture. I also think Niko could have gone into more detail in writing about these events. Overall i really liked Niko's article choice, writing, and its relevance to daily life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read Nikos review which was about 2012. And I have to say that I’m so glad someone finally proved that 2012 is not what people are making it to be. There were so many rumors about the Mayans predicting that the world is going to end at midnight on the last day of December. I liked this article because finally someone put these rumors to rest. I also liked the humor in the article itself. It is obvious that Niko put some thought into his review because it is very well organized and spell checked.

    Even though I think his topic is great I disagree with him when he said I don’t think this article can help society. Even though this article isn’t proving that the world is going to end soon, it does bring into light that the world is going to end eventually if we don’t change our system of living. I think the 2012 scare opened peoples eyes to what could happen in the future. Finally I think Niko could have added a little more detail into his review that was included in the article. Such as go deeper into what 2012 is and explain what CERN is.

    I have to admit I was a little skeptical about what could really happen on 2012 but I learned that NASA and CERN had done a lot of research to prove that there was no significance of this date. I also learned that the Mayans simply stopped keeping track of time way beyond them, not say the world itself was going to end in some freak disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chemistry Louis Florio
    Comment On Blog 11/20/09

    Three things about this article that I thought were well presented were the way Nikos topic sparked a world wide scare about the end of the world. Niko also showed greta knowledge of his topic and he also used solid facts about 2012. Two things I felt could have made this article better are if Niko used better vocabulary or if Niko could have gone into more detail about his topic. One thing I learned from this article was that all 2012 suspicions have been dismissed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chemistry Julia Ornaf Blog Comment 11/19/09

    I read Niko’s article, “Is Doomsday Coming? Perhaps, But Not in 2012.” I enjoyed reading about this topic, something I am fairly interested in, and a bit scared of. I really liked how he told the myths and then the facts so we know what is true and what is a lie, and that in fact some theories people believe are true are impossible. It was also very well presented.
    One thing I would suggest to do better is to check over spelling and grammar, because for instance you put in the title 20012, but the year is supposed to be 2012. I would also suggest going into more detail about his topic.
    One thing I learned from this article was that we will NOT die in 2012, which makes me very happy.

    ReplyDelete